Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Resilience comes naturally.

Resilience seems to come naturally for children. They think nothing of falling down a million times to learn how to crawl, walk or any number of activities.

Since the Essential Tremor diagnosis a year ago, my five-year old Leah has continued to learn to write letters and numbers. Her shake is less noticeable as she becomes more proficient at writing. Our neighbor is a neurologist and at a dinner party, she explained that initially, her shake was more pronounced because she was concentrating so diligently.

We hardly notice her shake in everyday life. Yet, there are days when she is a messier eater than most five-year-old children or her exhaustion from the day makes her writing a bit shakier. Also, she shakes when she tries to cut paper. Consequently, her artwork is a bit more jagged than the other children. 

Recently, the Kindergarten teacher had an interesting observation. Leah's twin brother is in the same class. Their teacher mentioned that Leah's brother also seems to shake when holding a scissors. He has not been diagnosed as it seems unimportant at this point.

When the shake is present, she works through the shake without mentioning it or even noticing it. Sometimes, she simply needs to take a short break before completing her task or homework. Her teacher understands this and simply allows her to complete it another day. The shake is most noticeable when she is trying to make beaded bracelets, which is a common activity for girls this age.  I watch her try and try again. Her resilience is only exceeded by her concentration. After some time, she often enlists her friends to help her. It never discourages her spirit. 

Despite these challenges Essential Tremor has been a minor annoyance for us. Thankfully, we have had wonderful teachers who have been helpful and understanding. They do not draw attention to her shake and she has thrived. 

Hopefully, the shake does not progress, or if it does progress, may it progress slowly into old age.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Thank you for your blog. My son has just been diagnosed with ET on Monday (just turned 5 Tuesday) and my story is very similar to yours. Except we're just starting the journey. He is going to start OT soon and I am happy to read from you that this could help him a lot. We first noticed the shaking around 2 yrs, but thought it was just fine motor skills that needed to improve on with age. But it seemed to progress and when his teacher brought it up to me, I thought it was time to ask his doctor about it again. He's a great kid and I think ET will not slow him down, but I do have all the same concerns that you have. And I need to learn to put a filter on about talking about it too.. At first I thought I'd be upfront with him and talk about everything. But the other day while he was talking about how he couldn't have chocolate milk because of the caffeine and that will make him shake, I decided that maybe I'm drawing more attention to it than I should be and its best to not be so up-front. Any suggestions? Again, thank you for your heartfelt comments. As you know, there is not much out there on ET and small children. -Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad this has helped you. I invite you to guest write for this blog if you are ever interested to enhance the dialog.

    ReplyDelete