Thursday, January 20, 2011

OT for ET

Today, when I dropped my daughter off at school, her teacher explained her plan to help my little Leah. The goal is to help her without drawing attention to her Essential Tremor shake. Essential Tremor is inherited and causes people to shake. It is not something that they can control and when they concentrate on stopping the shake, it can actually get worse. So, for my four-year-old, learn to write letters is a challenge. When she learns new letters, her shake is worse. She has a happy attitude and doesn't talk about it much. The doctor said she seemed to be unaware of the shake that is in both hands but I know she knows. Her Dad has a milder case and we told her she is just like her Daddy.

While painting her nails this weekend, I accidentally said, you may not be able to do this when you are older. She replied "because of my shake." I backpedaled but maybe not so well. Strengthening my filter will be necessary to not draw attention to her disorder.

At school, the Occupational Therapist will observe her without drawing attention to her condition. Then, they plan to slip in the tools to help her with her shake -- weighted pencils, etc. I will be buying some of the tools for home.
Here is to an interesting journey.

1 comment:

  1. Hello. Just wanted to let you know that there are treatments for what your daughter has. What I don't know is how young neurologists can start the medications for it. I just started my treatments a few years ago and I am so thankful for science!!!
    I started to actually notice my tremors when I was around 12 years old, but I'm sure I had them before that. I've watched one of my sons grow up with it, and many of my relatives on my moms side of the family has it too.
    I also have a blog about my adventures too. Bear with me on it...I am just now learning how to blog better. :-)
    Take care!!

    ReplyDelete